Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rita's Italian Ice, Restaurant Review



Looking for a cool summer treat? You will be happy to know that there are several Gluten Free offerings at Rita's Italian Ice. On a recent hot night my GF daughter and I ventured out for the little shop in southwest Durham. We chose Gelatis which are mixtures of their homemade Italian ice and soft serve frozen custard. I highly recommend the chocolate/berry flavor (yum!) The workers were helpful answering my questions about ingredients and showing me the custard carton mix so I could review the ingredients myself. I also received a prompt reply from corporate Rita's stating:
Rita’s has nutritional information available for our Guests on our website, www.ritasice.com. Please click the "Cool Treats" link on the top navigation pane and select "Nutritional Info" from the drop down menu, where you will find a link to an "Allergen Information" document.

Allergen information provided on our allergen chart is for the 8 major food groups that account for most food allergens as per the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004. Gluten is not considered to be among them, which is why it is not listed. allergen chart

Though we understand this is not inherent with all foods, for our purposes, anything we list with wheat content also includes gluten. Likewise, anything listed as not having any wheat content does not contain any gluten.

Therefore please refer to the “Wheat” category on our allergen chart to address your gluten concerns.


I have learned there are 500 Rita's in 18 states. I am glad to have one in Durham that clearly discloses their allergen information and offers great customer service!

Location:
Rita's
1125 W Nc Highway 54
Durham, NC 27707-5715
(919) 489-0888

No comments: