Thursday, January 3, 2013

Evaluating Your Gluten Free Diet for 2013

This is a repost of an article I first wrote in January, 2011.  I feel that it is worth asking ourselves these questions on an annual basis....
As the New Year begins it is always a great time to evaluate your health and your gluten free diet. Speaking from my perspective as a dietitan and health and wellness coach I encourage readers to ask yourself the following questions:

Am I satisfied with my current diet?


Are there areas in my eating patterns that I should improve?

What foods do I miss from my previous diet? Have I found adequate substitutes? Do I need to find a new recipe?

How did I feel about eating during the holiday season? What could I do now that would make me more prepared for holidays 2013?

Am I satisfied with my current weight, is it within a healthy BMI (body mass index range)?

Besides being gluten free how nutritious is my diet? Do I consume enough calcium? What about fiber? Other nutrients?

How many servings of fruits and vegetables do I eat each day? What are some ways to increase the amount?

What new foods would I like to try?

What resources do I need to better equip me in navigating the gluten free diet?

When is the last time I had a physical? If I have Celiac Disease does my doctor check my celiac labs on an annual basis?

In addition to following a gluten free diet, what other steps do I need to take to maximize my health?

What is the one thing I can do today that will help me improve my overall health and gluten free diet?

Happy New Year, Debbie

No comments: