Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Gluten Free Pizza Comes To Durham!


I have been wondering why there is not a good gluten free pizza place in Durham. I even sometimes wish I was closer to Raleigh to take advantage of all those places that Zach at gluten free Raleigh has blogged about. After reading the recent posts from Zach and from Tiffany Janes about Mellow Mushroom going GF in Raleigh, I decided to call the Durham location. I spoke with their general manager, Andy, who informed me that YES Durham, along with Raleigh and Wake Forest are the test markets for the GF pizza crust!! Andy explained this is a brand new roll out for the company and that corporate would be bringing some GF crusts to Durham on January 19th. He said this would be a "soft roll out" and after that the store would be able to start ordering crusts for use at the Durham location. The crusts will arrive to the store already pre-formed and frozen. I asked Andy several questions and also explained the importance of training their chefs and wait staff to avoid cross contamination of the gluten free crust. Andy was very interested in the information I had to share about the needs of those with gluten intolerance. In addition to the GF Pizza the Durham Mellow Mushroom hopes to start offering some gluten free beer to go along with that pizza! I know those of us who live, work and eat Gluten Free in Durham will be excited to have a great place to order GF Pizza. I encourage you to be patient, kind and ask those GF questions of your server in a way that will help educate the staff at Mellow Mushroom. Also if you go and have a good experience take the time to say thanks to Andy and the folks at Mellow Mushroom. Mellow Mushroom is located in the American Tobacco District of Durham:

410 Blackwell Street
Durham, NC 27701
(919) 680-8500

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so excited to finally be able to order pizza instead of a salad..Thanks for the information Debbie!