Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gluten Free Shopping at Wal-Mart


A client of mine had informed me that the Wal-Mart Super Center in Hillsbourgh offered several gluten free options. I decided to travel down the road from Durham on Hwy 85 to visit the Super Wal-Mart for my weekly shopping. I was pleased to see about half an aisle dedicated to gluten free items. Items were well marked and they carried many staple brands. I even found some of the Dr. Schar rolls available and quickly grabbed the last two packages. Unfortunately as I was waiting in line I noticed that the rolls were molding, the expiration date was not until April 2010 IF FROZEN, which these were not frozen thus had a shorter shelf life. Always check gluten free breads that are not in the freezer section, because many tend to mold quickly. Other than the rolls, I was very happy to stock up on some of our favorite products and will plan to shop there again. It is great to see such a mainstream store carry so many gluten free options.

501 Hampton Pointe Boulevard,
Hillsborough, NC 27278
http://www.walmart.com
(919) 732-9172

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great news about the gluten free isle. I will definitely go by and check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

1artsychick said...

The new Super Wal-Mart in East Durham at 1525 Glenn School Rd.
Durham, NC 27704 also has a Gluten Free section. It sounds like the one at the Hillsborough Wal-Mart might be a little bigger, but I get a lot of stuff from this Wal-Mart.
It's right off I-85 exit 179 or 180 I can't remember which.
Now if they would just get a good freezer section!!

Debbie Jongkind,RD,LDN said...

Wendy,
I have not traveled to the new Wal-Mart yet, thanks for sharing the information! I did not see much in the frozen section at the Hillsborough Wal-Mart either.