Monday, January 25, 2010

Piedmont, Restaurant Review

I had the pleasure of eating dinner at Piedmont Restaurant this past Saturday evening.The restaurant offers Italian/French cuisine in an eclectic atmosphere. Piedmont is located in downtown Durham on Foster Street, very near the Durham Farmer's Market. The restaurant menu is designed around fresh, local ingredients and changes often. Everything is made from scratch, which is a plus when trying to order gluten free. I found them exceptionally accommodating to my gluten free needs. Our server, after discussing the menu with the chef, was able to alert me to several gluten free options on their menu. We started our meal with a few of their cheese offerings. I was impressed to see that they even separated the cheese and bread onto two different plates because of my gluten concerns. Our server said that they often have requests for gluten free meals, so they were familiar with the dietary restrictions. The main entree was delicious; I enjoyed risotto with butternut squash, apples, walnuts and goat cheese. To my delight they also offered a gluten free flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Of course since it was available I was compelled to order dessert! My husband and I shared the generous sized, warm piece of flourless chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. We both thought it was fantastic and note my husband is not gluten free. The restaurant was quite busy, with a party downstairs and individual dining upstairs. Our service was very good in spite of how busy they were Saturday evening. Reservations are recommended. I will definitely plan to dine at Piedmont again in the future.

Piedmont Restaurant
401 Foster Street
Durham, North Carolina
919.683.1213
info@piedmontrestaurant.com

Restaurant Hours
Dinner Wed. - Mon. 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.*
Lunch Mon., Wed. - Fri. 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Brunch Sat. & Sun. 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Closed Tuesdays
*Bar open until midnight on Fridays & Saturdays. Restaurant closes at 9pm on Sundays.

No comments: